William P. Hobby Airport
Contact UsPrivacy Policy
Custom Search

William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) is Houston’s second largest airport. It is located about 8 miles south of downtown Houston, TX and has been in operation for over 80 years.

In 1937 the city of Houston acquired land for the Hobby Airport which was then named Houston Municipal Airport.

For a short time the airport was named Howard R. Hughes Airport because the famous aviator, producer and director, had helped the airport with many improvements including building the first control tower. In 1967, the airport’s name once again changed and was named after William P. Hobby, a former Texas governor.

Hobby Airport was Houston’s original commercial airport until Houston Intercontinental (now known as George Bush Intercontinental) was added in 1969. At that time all commercial flights were moved to the Houston Intercontinental Airport until 1971 when commercial aviation once again opened at Hobby. Hobby Airport is now Houston’s secondary airport managing domestic services as well as corporate and private aviation.

Hobby Airport now has direct service to over 32 destinations throughout the United States as well as some international destinations with border preclearance. The one concourse is terminal to 26 gates which are primarily used by Southwest Airlines. There are seven commercial airlines that service the airport including many low cost carriers. The airport serves over 8 million passengers each year and ranks among the top airports in the country for customer satisfaction.

Along with several pieces of artwork throughout the airport, the building which housed the first terminal for passenger flight in Houston is now the home of the 1940 Air Terminal Museum at Houston Hobby Airport.